homestead - [Homestead] Fall Happenings

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Fall Happenings
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 17:47:52 -0400

Might be frost tonight and 36 forecast for Sunday night, so it's
probably bye bye for some of the garden stuff. I'm going to try to
cover a few green pepper plants and see how long I can keep them
going. I've got a lot of "default" fall garden this year. Cukes, snaps
that came back after the rains started at the end of August and have
kept me in those. Tomatoes just are not setting fruit anymore. I
canned 14 quarts of tomato sauce last week and that's about the end of
them.

I've got some butternut squash that need a couple of weeks, I'll try
to cover those.

It was nice and cool here earlier in fall, a few weeks ago, I started
a fire and burned wood most of one day. Last night I fired up the
stove and tonight will also. It's a nice feeling to not be hot.

I've got 2 goats to butcher, so maybe later next week it will be cool.
There is a butcher shop near here that will cut the meat for me and I
might try that. I took the loin of the hog I butchered last winter to
them this week (frozen) and they cut it up into some real nice, thick
chops. It would be nice to not to have to cook a whole leg of goat and
I hate hacking it into pieces.

I've got to have the goats dried up by the end of the year and am
seriously short on cheese. I have to stop giving stuff away to people.
Need to at least trade it! Made a 5 gallon batch of Feta today and
will make a 5 gallon Romano next week. Nee to make 2 more 5 gallon
Cheddars and then I'll have plenty until they start milking in the
spring.

I did barbeque today, have to go get it out of the fire. I've done way
to much grilling this year and not enough barbeque. Started the meat
at 10 this morning and it's just done. I'm gonna pull it, douse it in
sauce and make a sandwich with cole slaw for supper. Oh the joys of
homesteading!

Rob - Va