homestead - [Homestead] The name of the revolution is Barack Obama

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] The name of the revolution is Barack Obama
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 09:00:45 -0700

On Oct 16, 2008, at 11:16 PM, EarthNSky wrote:

Ok, so I'll bite...tell us about the Revolution.

For most of my voting years, over fifty now, I have watched my country diminish itself in many ways. Today, we are finally confronting many shameful things that have become the common paradigm. Government has grown into an out-of-control monster. Politicians by their example have shown Americans how to be more than usefully adversarial; they have shown us how to be closed-minded zealots. From the common courtesy and good manners of my youth to today's harsh communication bordering on the vulgar. From respectful dialogue to almost blatant negativity. From statesmanship to poll pandering, our leaders have shamed themselves.

Now comes Barack Obama. He is the product of a challenging background. Due to some spark within he has lifted himself through education, experience and great effort to become a most extraordinary politician. Throughout the increasingly harsh primary campaign and now the general election campaign he has held himself to higher standards than his opponents. Others have attempted this. They have lost their elections.

Obama is imperfect, as are all humans. He says things that he must say to get sufficient votes to attain the office. He has taken positions that I feel were wrong. He has yet to prove that he is capable of being a strong, effective leader, beyond having directed a surprisingly successful campaign over the course of nearly two years, surmounting the large obstacles of the color of his skin, his name, parts of his past, the opposition of a mighty political machine in his own party.

Obama has himself under control. He responds to attacks with dignity. He persists in his vision for a more successful and more just America. He has strong feelings about what needs to be done but he surrounds himself with those of greater experience and he listens to them with an open mind. He does not shoot from the hip. He makes reasoned decisions. He is dependable. He is to me a breath of fresh air.

The majority of voters of all political parties have long been injured by politicians who follow the same old corrupt pattern, using the voters but serving the power brokers at the expense of the people. Finally, in Barack Obama, we have a successful candidate who shows that he puts the people first.

And that, to me, is a revolutionary condition.