homestead - Re: [Homestead] Scary as h*ll

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Scary as h*ll
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 11:06:40 EDT

> >>If Government interferance hadn't made it nigh unto impossible for
> family farms to compete, they would be.

Right, but not just family farms ... any family business. The government is
hostile to actual small businesses.

Joe the Plumber is a good example. He is being disparaged because some are
saying he is not a "real" plumber because he has no license and is not a
member
of the union.

I've plumbed or helped plumb a bazillion houses including my own. Even back
in the days of threaded galvanized pipe, it was not rocket science. But now
plumber needs to have some skill with a pocket knife and a bottle of glue.
The ONLY reason for licenses and unions is that they set up guilds so that
the
unwashed rank and file can't compete with the chosen few. This encourages
large plumbing contractors and discourages the 'Joe's' of the world who could
otherwise earn a good living with one old pickup truck and single box of
tools.

The Republicans' paradigm is for there to be huge businesses and the benefit
of these will tinkle down to the Joe's. The Democrats' paradigm is for there
to be huge businesses but the government will siphon off a large part of the
profit and will distribute it to the Joe's.

No one is for Joe having his own business.

Both favor big businesses and no one (except Libertarians) favors actual
small businesses.

James<BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>New MapQuest Local shows what's happening
at your
destination. Dining, Movies, Events, News &amp; more. Try it out
(http://local.mapquest.com/?ncid=emlcntnew00000002)</HTML>