homestead - Re: [Homestead] Plant life ethics --for real

  • From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Plant life ethics --for real
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 12:02:46 -0500

I like the Native American notion that the Earth does not belong to us, we belong to it. We have some very large oaks here, including one on the national registry across the street that is estimated to be over 3,000 years old. I think this is why some tribes called trees "keepers of the law". I know my oaks "saw" many residents come an go in their lifetime...Indians, the pioneer blacksmith, the turn of the century preacher, the early postmaster, the modern pharmacist, and now me. It seems ludicrous to think I own these trees. They will hopefully be shading the next many owners in generations to come. Perhaps they look at us like we do our pets--something they take care of whose lifespan does not match theirs.

--Sage

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 12:08:26 EDT