homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tool to assist field dressing deer

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tool to assist field dressing deer
  • Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 15:29:54 -0400

If you hunt the right animal, there is no gamey flavor. What you find is that many people who trophy hunt bring home that huge buck for the freezer. That's no good. For the freezer, you want does or young spike bucks. You still have to remove glands, but you don't have to deal with all those gamey hormones that bucks produce in rut. I buy very little beef these days. Venison is healthier(less fat) and is free.
I do love your suggestion for that tool!

bob ford wrote:
Lisa, Make sure your family likes venison before you start counting
on it for family meat. I was deer hunting before I was old enough to
start little league; but deer meat isn't for everyone, unless a
person knows how to treat the meat. I don't prefer strong gamey
meat, so unless I'm back home where one of my brothers has a method
of removing the gaminess, I pass on vension. Most people seem to
like the gamey flavor and so don't treat the meat.

I would not use that tool on any animal, unless the animal was from
Wall street, in NYC; then I might consider dressing it alive .
.........bobford

--
"What Luck for Rulers that Men do not Think" Adolf Hitler
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net