homestead - Re: [Homestead] The future of this wannabe..

  • From: william Eggers <wce1482 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The future of this wannabe..
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 19:10:38 -0700 (PDT)

I don't usually comment, but I guess I will.  I get VA compensation and my
wife gets retirement income from teaching a lot of years.  If worse comes to
worse, we could loose those incomes or if inflations takes hold, they my not
be any good.  However, we have an orchard and raise, cherries, plums, grapes,
peaches, nectarines, apricots, blackberries, plears and apples.  If
inflations comes, we may be able to sell fruit for enough to get by, or mayby
trade it.  The only problem is that we put a now house on the farm in 06 and
have a mortgage on it.  Will we be able to sell enough fruit to keep up a
mortgage?  That is the question.  We have rural water, but I have well
drilling equipment, so could probably drill one.  We use LP for heat, but
have a fireplace and 35 acres of woods.  Electricity may be a problem, but I
think we could learn to live without it.  You asked what others would do, and
this is part of what we may be required to do.