homestead - Re: [Homestead] The future of this wannabe..

  • From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The future of this wannabe..
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 08:34:13 -0500

We recently learned from quizing the solar power folks at the Renewable Energy Roundup that for around $2300 we could put in a solar system that would pump our well water should the grid fail (less if we did it ourselves). That was based on the fact that ours is only 40 feet deep. I'm glad we have a pioneer well we could lower buckets into in an emergency, but maintaining the garden and animals would be tough. We also live close enough to the river we could maybe get a horse and cart to haul water.

Of course the thing we would want is a gravity fed tank (over a spring house) that would be the larger expense. I saw a book on building ferrocement water tanks but I don't know if I'd trust my engineering enough to walk into a pantry underneath tons of water. Ha ha. So having a solar power pump is high on our list of priorities right now.

Our mortgage is fairly low and our little used truck (now leaking antifreeze?) and SUV will be paid off before the end of the year. Our used econocar has low payments, but we could always sell it or let it go if things get tight. My tourism clients will scale back because I am paid from HOT funding (hotel occupancy tax) and with less people traveling there will be less funding. However, most of them recognize if you don't advertise you stand to lose your market share. Fortunately most of my clients are destinations already considered a "good value" so the economy may actually drive visitors away from trendy locations to them. I would have to have Internet, phone, and a way to power my laptop to keep in business. Hard to say how my husband's teaching job would fare, since music is expendable but tied to beloved football. The ISD has invested in instruments so surely art would go first.

We have enough land to feed ourselves and maybe a few others too. With our long growing season a lot is possible. We could make venison dog food and catch fish for the cats. We could probably house a couple of extra down on their luck helpers. Building up Healthy Harvest is key to making sure we all eat. I think I could trade herbal medicine for people and animals, and we have eggs to sell. Our winters aren't too brutal so we could live by the fireplace.

I have lived through two 500 year floods in seven years. We are talking about 29 inches of rain in 24 hours and the river rising 47 feet above its banks and spreading out a mile from a width most of you would consider a creek. During this time I witnessed a caring community in action helping each other and I think economic bad times will bring out this side of people again.

--Sage
Way Out in Texas

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 19:35:59 -0700 (PDT)