homestead - Re: [Homestead] The future of this wannabe..

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The future of this wannabe..
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 18:43:08 -0400

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 5:18 PM, Akka Homestead
<akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com>wrote:

> I live very close to the edge. (snip)
> but is that enough to save the farm if there is no regular income?
> What about you all?

Akka, you have more than most. When you feel unprepared or like you don't
have much, look at the poor souls who live an hour away from you in or close
to the city. Heck, you could even teach your skills to others who will want
to learn. Maybe at a local community college or just by word of mouth
(flyers)? They may not pay you in dollars (you may not want dollars anyway),
but you can barter. Maybe they can do something for or with you in exchange.

Every day I'm glad I'm not in the mortgage business. My job as a foster care
provider is no picnic but it's regular income as long as Medicaid stays
solvent and pays my employer. Of course, Medicaid is the government and
they'll just keep printing more worthless money, or money that is worth
less? If our income stops, our mortgage payments stop.

Next week we are consumer debt-free! It was a two year haul. Long story
short, we got into debt because we a) bought a house in town almost 5 years
ago for my business, then b) our first live-in client only stayed six weeks
and moved out fall '05 and I went back to mortgage loans until June 06. I
closed few loans between October and June, we accumulated debt as a result.
But now the debt is gone. We should begin having wiggle room every month.

Lisa
...hunkering down in sw VA!