homestead - Re: [Homestead] Bill not passing

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Bill not passing
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 15:35:44 -0400

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 3:09 PM, bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com> wrote:

> Well , you could be right about much of your opinion. (snip)
>
> I'm not that worried about myself, James, other than personal safety and
> investments losing money, my wife and I will be fine. But, I have four
> brothers down South, who all work hard for a living. I have acquaintances
> here, some who work hard for a living. I'm a bit concerned about myself.
> I'm damn concerned about my family, society & culture ...

I hear both of you. I have made progress towards being self-sufficient but
I'm light years away from being in your caliber, James.

I'm not worried much for my husband and myself though I am concerned for my
sons' future. Relatives who lived through the Great Depression probably
still had moments of joy and peace, despite the hard times they went
through. I'm hanging on to that.

Btw, my boys are going to make a solar oven for a science project. Oldest is
considering selling them pending the outcome.

Spoke to my sister in Gainesville GA two nights ago. For years I've been the
big sister 'preaching' to reduce their debt. Lately I've asked her to buy
bulk food for her family (three kids ages 6 to 11). Her husband is a GM for
a well known restaurant chain and his monthly bonus (which they wrongly
count as income) will be reduced or non-existent based on September's sales
and possibly for the foreseeable future. It might pick up over the holidays,
but no guarantee. He rec'd the bonus for three years without fail, so it
went from being treated as a 'bonus' to 'income'. She thinks he has enough
seniority that he'll keep his job, but time will tell. She has been employed
as an Office Mgr for a medical practice for 12 years, so her job is pretty
safe. They can not make it on just one income. So, yes, I am concerned for
them.

I'm sure most of us on this list have similar tales of family or friends.

Lisa