homestead - Re: [Homestead] Problem uncovered by foreign leader

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Problem uncovered by foreign leader
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 09:18:08 -0800

Yupe, Wiyot. And the treaties state "sovereign." Which actually means "unless we change our mind and discover oil or minerals or ???? on your land, EVEN if you bought it with your own money!

The Osage were not conquered. They saw the writing on the wall, sold their land on the East Coast and BOUGHT land in Oklahoma. Let me repeat, BOUGHT with their own money, NOT government money, their own land in Oklahoma. The Osage were the richest folks in the U.S. in the early 1900s. RICHEST. Not the Rockefellers, not Getty, not Ford, not Vanderbilts, not the Morgans. Nope, per capita, the Osage were the richest folks in the country. The NY Times even wrote an article on them at the time.

This "sovereign" nation that was NOT conquered had the feds go in and appoint "legal guardians" for these folks because, after all, this ignorant heathens couldn't possible control their own wealth. I mean, somehow these "ignorant heathens" had managed to become the richest folks around. Folks who had several cars and where each family had at least one limo. Folks who ALL lived in mansions. All without any "help" from the feds.

So, the legal guardians had themselves made heirs to the folks they were guardians of. These 100% white bread folks had themselves made members of the tribe. These lawyers and other political appointees then determined that the Osage shouldn't have all that land they bought because they were "ignorant" and "drunken Indians" and couldn't manage it and it should be sold off. So the land was chopped up and the richest oil land was sold off. The folks who had guardians appointed for them started dying off. About 27 died before there was a big enough stink for it all to stop. Well, sort of. Even with petitions to the government, the FBI refused to come in and investigate UNLESS the Osage PAID them to do so. The ONLY time in the history of this nation that the FBI has demanded to be paid before they would investigate. AND, the U.S. government has refused to remove anyone from the tribal roll that is proven to not be of Osage descent! After all, ya don't want to have the government define some white guy of Indian money!

So, no, sovereign nations within the boundaries of the U.S. are not sovereign unless it is convenient for the government. And, no, it has nothing to do with being conquered or not conquered. My tribe was never "conquered," we were rounded up and kept in cattle pens "for our own good" so that no more white men would creep in at night and massacre anymore women, children and the elderly.

There are over 500 distinct nations within the U.S. boundaries. The U.S. didn't conquer all those nations. In fact, they "conquered" very few!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <rayzentz AT aim.com>

Lynda, are you amerind? If so, with what tribe are you affiliated?
Just curiosity on my part. I have spent several years of my teaching
career on various reservations in the north central continental US.

Also, while this is not politically correct, there is a difference
between "sovereign", and "conquered". If a conquered nation is
allowed by it's conquerer to have some sovereignty, well, that's all
good. That "sovereignty" does have limits, however, otherwise there
would be no need for the adjective "conquered".

Now, you can argue the right or wrongness of that original "conquering
process" all you want, but it doesn't change the basis of "what is".

Incidentally, I don't use the term "native american" to describe
descendants of indigenous peoples, because I am a native american. I
was born here, as were a lot of my ancestors going back many. many
generations.

Ray