homestead - Re: [Homestead] Problem uncovered by foreign leader

  • From: rayzentz AT aim.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Problem uncovered by foreign leader
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 10:37:41 -0400

Lynda, are you amerind? If so, with what tribe are you affiliated? Just curiosity on my part. I have spent several years of my teaching career on various reservations in the north central continental US.

Also, while this is not politically correct, there is a difference between "sovereign", and "conquered". If a conquered nation is allowed by it's conquerer to have some sovereignty, well, that's all good. That "sovereignty" does have limits, however, otherwise there would be no need for the adjective "conquered".

Now, you can argue the right or wrongness of that original "conquering process" all you want, but it doesn't change the basis of "what is".

Incidentally, I don't use the term "native american" to describe descendants of indigenous peoples, because I am a native american. I was born here, as were a lot of my ancestors going back many. many generations.

Ray