homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fannie/Freddie bailout question

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fannie/Freddie bailout question
  • Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 20:26:08 -0500

I can think of instances where this would not be true, for instance,
where the minimally available space might better serve for sleeping
room or for making a living sufficient to buy clothing, etc.

If someone were so infirmed that they could not grow a garden, that would be
lamentable, but it wouldn't mean that lack of garden is a good thing.
Likewise if one had so small a space at their disposal that it was a choice between
sleeping there or growing vegetables there, that's very bad, very much a pity.
But finding oneself in those circumstances is the bad thing, a garden isn't.

Point well made and well taken.

I disagree sharply with this notion. Used prudently, debt to buy real
property or to pay for a good education is very worthwhile.

And my view would again be, but what a pity! Debt is thus viewed as a normal
course of human events, inevitable if you are ever going to have anything.
But this is a lamentable view. For example, I bought this present farmstead
when I was 36, and then built a house on it (along with road, septic, etc) and
it never carried a mortgage. I borrowed no money. Neither did the pieces of
real estate whose sale helped buy it and build it. I bought those without
mortgages too, the first one when I was 25. It can be done if one does not buy
into the paradigm that debt is either good or inevitable.

And good for you and I wish more young people would do likewise. They won't, I think, until someone somehow burns it into their brains. How many young folks have you convinced to follow your example?

And were your early real estate purchases worth the same when you sold them as when you bought them? I suspect not. If not, what was their rate of appreciation?

I bought the first ninety acres here with ten thousand down and a local bank loan for the balance. I made payments on that loan while continuing my urban life, which included making payments on homes. Without a loan I could not have bought this land. My brother says it is the best thing I have ever done. Considering all the mistakes I have made, I cannot disagree. I have never regretted borrowing that purchase money.

As far as education goes, the type of 'education' that is for sale is rapidly
fading in worth in the modern world.

Perhaps in some cases. But note that we now have a minority race man who may become our next president who used student loans to get an education not otherwise available to him. His wife did so, also. He would have never attained sufficient status to make a credible run for the presidency had he not gotten that education. Student loans made it possible. Borrowing that money was prudent; it was an investment in his future life.