homestead - Re: [Homestead] June, July and August

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] June, July and August
  • Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 16:09:47 -0400

On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 6:40 PM, Akka Homestead
<akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com>wrote:

> Point is, that there are generally two types of herding dogs, gatherers and
> drovers. BC's are naturally gatherers. Aussies, Blue Healers, Kelpies,
> etc., are naturally drovers.

Lynda also mentioned Blue Heelers. We had one, as a stray, for nine months a
couple years ago. Long story short, we adopted him from the pound *after* he
found us as a stray (he was on our deck when we came home one day- the BC's
didn't seem to object). We decided to adopt him because we didn't want him
killed. So, yes, we paid $10 for a free dog. He was a wild dog, when we left
to go anywhere we'd put him on a 150' dog run line. One day he got loose and
killed the rest of our remaining poultry. It was a chicken slaughter yard
with 5 dead hens and one beloved rooster. That afternoon the darn BH went
back to the pound.

We've had an interesting homestead experience thus far.

Using a paint gun would be for our enjoyment, we'd like to see the colored
spots on the deer as some sort of twisted revenge.

lkvp