homestead - Re: [Homestead] June, July and August

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] June, July and August
  • Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 15:32:58 -0800

Heelers are notorious "chicken" dogs. Go with a hound. Most times they can't be bothered to get out of their own way but heaven help something that doesn't belong there! The ones that get "lost" are those that are taken away from home to go hunting. Those at home usually learn their boundaries and may chase a little way beyond but don't like getting too far away from the dinner bowl <g>

Tuff-E knows what the words "deer" and "blue kitty" (DH has a twisted sense of humor. It is what he calls the gray squirrels) means and she knows they are "evil" and must be run off the property.

We've had sight hounds (Borzoi, Saluki, Afghan) and they couldn't be bothered to chase deer. The Borzoi and Saluki were death (yes, I mean that literally) on stray dogs. The Afghan would only chase rabbits. Occasionally a stray cat but that was the end of that. They also aren't noisy and the deer didn't pay a whole bunch of attention to them.

And, yes, the paint balls are fun. Sure does "encourage" neighbors who like to let their dogs room to keep them at home!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>

Lynda also mentioned Blue Heelers. We had one, as a stray, for nine months a
couple years ago. Long story short, we adopted him from the pound *after* he
found us as a stray (he was on our deck when we came home one day- the BC's
didn't seem to object). We decided to adopt him because we didn't want him
killed. So, yes, we paid $10 for a free dog. He was a wild dog, when we left
to go anywhere we'd put him on a 150' dog run line. One day he got loose and
killed the rest of our remaining poultry. It was a chicken slaughter yard
with 5 dead hens and one beloved rooster. That afternoon the darn BH went
back to the pound.

We've had an interesting homestead experience thus far.

Using a paint gun would be for our enjoyment, we'd like to see the colored
spots on the deer as some sort of twisted revenge.

lkvp