homestead - Re: [Homestead] June, July and August

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] June, July and August
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 20:29:55 -0400

I agree! This year was better than last, but not normal and no bumper
crops. April was cool and wet into mid May. Things grew well then, but
June was really dry. A little rain in July and little until the end of
August had us really droughty. Funny, though, August was on the cool
side for here. Then Fran brought us 3 inches and Hanna is going to
skirt by and maybe bring a little more.

The Fran rain started working the lime I had spread in, that rain fell
real nice for that. Any rain we get from Hanna will help. The pasture
is looking good and I've got that couple of acres I was working on in
spring to fall cover crop.

I'm finishing up on firewood and closing in the addition to my house
from last year. Making lots of cheese in between. I think fall may be
my the months I like best, cause it's cooling off, winter nights in
front of the fireplace are coming and the promise of spring without
all the work is on my mind.

Rob - Va