homestead - Re: [Homestead] Meat

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Meat
  • Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 21:19:02 EDT

> >So karmically, if
> you're killing things anyway, you get more bang for your buck (so to
> speak) eating meat.

What the militant vegan also conveniently leaves out is that in order to grow
a vegetarian diet it is necessary to kill or thwart all manner of animal
life. Habitats are disrupted, animals have to be scared away, stunk away, or
shot
away. Under our present system he vegetarian diet has to be transported and
marketed and undergoes other activities that kill animals.

We on this homestead eat much less meat than the American average. When they
came out with that recommendation to eat no more than 17 oz of red meat a
week, we weret taken aback. Who eats that much red meat? We may average six
ounces a week during the meat eating season, and all that we ourselves
killed.
But radical, lunatic fringe vegetarianism is a luxury that only the rich can
afford. The rest of us have to eat what we can wrest from our environment no
matter the form it takes. </HTML>