homestead - [Homestead] Meat

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: Homestead <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Meat
  • Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 07:18:10 -0500

Reading this column moved me to muse on how I have moved away from meat. During much of my life I have eaten all common forms of meat. But over the last thirty or so years I have evolved away from the modern, full human diet and now eat almost only vegetables and grains with fish or poultry. Partly it has been about health and partly it has been about evolving away from violence. I'm not sure which has led the way. In addition to values taught by parents, the ongoing acts of man against man has formed my feeling about all violence. This column is ostensibly about confined feeding conditions, factory farms, CAFOs. I found much more.

OP-ED COLUMNIST
A Farm Boy Reflects
By NICHOLAS D. KRISTOF
Published: July 31, 2008

In a world in which animal rights are gaining ground, barbecue season should make me feel guilty. My hunch is that in a century or two, our descendants will look back on our factory farms with uncomprehending revulsion. But in the meantime, I love a good burger.

Full article at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/31/opinion/31kristof.html?em