homestead - Re: [Homestead] Meat

  • From: Akka Homestead <akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Meat
  • Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 08:17:27 -0700 (PDT)

How long did it take you to do those birds?
We'll have to do that next year..we're a bit out of practice.
This week a predator showed up and took out my turken rooster and a hen.  I
loved that big ol' rooster!  The girls have quit laying.  Last night, I
thought I heard a fox.   This predator had the MO of a possum, but I
wonder...could it have been a fox?

We are still eating sausage from pigs 3 years ago.  We used to do two pigs
every other year, but now that it is just the two of us, it lasts longer.

And lastly, people should realize that while eating meat involves killing, so
does eating plants.  We must kill to eat. We must destroy habitats to make
rice paddies, wheat and corn fields, etc just as we destroy habitats to make
pastures for meat animals.  When mankind stopped hunting and gathering and
moving with the seasons/food, when he settled in one place and began growing
his food, he began the long cycle of habitat destruction that we see today.
That's killing, too.  I'm not trying to start an argument, just trying to
bring balance to the equation.

Akka B