homestead - Re: [Homestead] Doniel Boone Bowen

  • From: paxamicus AT earthlink.net
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Doniel Boone Bowen
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 08:28:01 -0400

Our pond is a haven for those things. Every spring those tiny dinosaurs crawl all over the place, using the two streams and the pond as roads. Some of them were a foot across. We (and by that I mean Roy) relocated some of them a little bit further down river, because I was worried about the dogs and the kids. I did not know this place was turtle central when we bought it and it is the one instance in which I share your distaste for fences, because we put some in along a stream bed and they were forever getting stuck so we'd have to move them anyway. Those fences will come out when we leave. I have a different kind of fence planned for NY.

There is a downed tree half in and half out of our pond. The baby turtles crawl up it in the spring and sunbath in it. I've seen a dozen of them at a time sunning themselves. Between the herons and the turtles, our pond is Jurassic Park Jr.

I think you are meant to keep turtles in clean water for a while, like lobsters, to flush them. I'm still wondering about the raccoon, though.

Having books not necessary is a luxury. I indulge myself. I have a
wild game cookbook. It is in the Phoenix house kitchen. No wild game
there except scorpions. It is a lovely book. I've never used it for
cooking anything but it is a lovely book. I once saw a big snapping
turtle walking across the west field. I went out and picked it up.
Nasty, slimy, stinky thing full of remnants of its many years of
plowing through mud and detritus. I put it into the bed of the pickup
truck and went into the house to see if the book would tell me how to
clean the thing to be suitable for cooking. My first thought was a
fire hose. When I went back outside the turtle was gone and I could
not find it. Either turtles are faster than I have been told or I am a
slower reader than I thought.