homestead - Re: [Homestead] Doniel Boone Bowen

  • From: "Warren" <mogrits AT gmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Doniel Boone Bowen
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 10:37:06 -0400

> Mud turtle on the other hand is a delicacy rivaling the best
> seafood in the
> world.
>
> They are dressed with a hatchet, a strong arm, and a lot of
> determination.
> But it's worth it.
>

> James

As I recall it's a very light, white meat. My Granddad used to set out
turtle traps and when he'd gathered a "mess" of snapping turtles he prepared
turtle stew in a huge iron pot. As children, we didn't get closely involved
in the cleaning of the turtles. I recall a turtle once peeing directly in my
grandads face, I remember bringing multicolored, semi-developed eggs to
school show and tell, and I remember the heads seemed to stay alive a long,
long time after they were removed from the body.

He'd cook it outside under the chinaberry tree next to the barnyard. People
would show up in droves, and in retrospect I guess they were imbibing
spirits along with their turtle stew.

Warren