homestead - Re: [Homestead] Doniel Boone Bowen

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Doniel Boone Bowen
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 05:58:57 -0500

On Jul 20, 2008, at 10:58 PM, Roy Morgan wrote:

Since I don't have a rifle, we probably won't be making groundhog stew
soon, but we do have the book. And groundhogs.

Having books not necessary is a luxury. I indulge myself. I have a wild game cookbook. It is in the Phoenix house kitchen. No wild game there except scorpions. It is a lovely book. I've never used it for cooking anything but it is a lovely book. I once saw a big snapping turtle walking across the west field. I went out and picked it up. Nasty, slimy, stinky thing full of remnants of its many years of plowing through mud and detritus. I put it into the bed of the pickup truck and went into the house to see if the book would tell me how to clean the thing to be suitable for cooking. My first thought was a fire hose. When I went back outside the turtle was gone and I could not find it. Either turtles are faster than I have been told or I am a slower reader than I thought.