homestead - Re: [Homestead] Owner built bridges

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Owner built bridges
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 11:30:57 -0500

On Jul 10, 2008, at 11:01 AM, <eureka AT hctc.net> <eureka AT hctc.net> wrote:

I would say
it needs to be about a 50 foot span and one side of the
land is maybe 3-4 feet higher than the other. It would
likely need to be 3 feet above the rock creek bottom to be
of any use in crossing. Any supporting structures would
have to be somehow anchored into conglomerate limestone
which can be fragile...at least there is no frost line to
consider.

Well, that is a much different picture than I had. Your ravine is much wider and much more shallow than I envisioned. Shallower is good, it makes it possible to support a bridge easier. Is the bottom of the ravine solid rock?

I would probably build it of stone and concrete, a series of arches to let most water go under but in time of flood it could go over without hurting what here in the Ozarks we call a low-water bridge.

Do not turn down any chance to get old steel culvert pipes. With enough of them you would not need to build arches.