homestead - Re: [Homestead] Got a plan?

  • From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Got a plan?
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 11:51:54 -0500

We sort of have one that has evolved over time. It started as a map taken from the original survey in part of my nerdy botanical need to have an assessment of all the plants found here. Since I occassionally teach Master Naturalist botany courses here it was a handy reference. Then as the farm grew it became a device to show farm sitters where everything was located that needed attention in our rare absence. After reading Bill Mollison's Permaculture books one and two, we started considering it more of a master plan. We are debating whether to rennovate our drafty old post office-turned-house for better efficiency or to build an ecologically based new one somewhere else on the property so possible places for that are being looked at.

Fortunately, we had already located things needing the most attention (like the chicken coop) closer to the house than things needing the least (like the winter squash patch), with the exception of our vegetable garden which is positioned in the sun behind our park-like oak shaded back lawn. This would all be disrupted by changing the location of our abode. I like the permaculture ideas a lot, but they don't all work for us. For one we are challenged with a deep ravine that splits the five acres in half that makes any kind of radius of work proximity impossible. This plan would work great if you had a lot of land and could situate a house in the middle, like many American farmsteads once did (historically, also the basis of the American front and back yards with the house smack-dab in the middle).

--Sage

On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 06:42:59 -0500