homestead - Re: [Homestead] Got a plan?

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Got a plan?
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 11:19:14 -0500

On Jul 10, 2008, at 10:17 AM, <eureka AT hctc.net> <eureka AT hctc.net> wrote:

Ah...very beautiful indeed! If only we had a smidgen of
their rainfall.

I was most surprised and chagrined to learn from the docent that they pump most of their water and have a several-thousand-dollar-per-month water bill. I found and find it most unsettling.

The wet part of the big island is on the other side, the Hilo side. The Kona side is much drier.

The greatest permaculture challenge of the ravine is just
getting from one side of the property to the other.

How wide across at the best place for a bridge?

It would be pretty cool to build a
bridge across that was also a garden...if I could figure
out how to design a bridge.

A steel frame from a mobile home or long-bed truck might provide the main support--check at wrecking yards. Extra mid-span support could be steel pipes sitting on concrete footings.

I've not seen a book on homemade bridges. I made my bridge from white oak logs about twenty-five feet long. Concrete supports on either end. Two-by-ten oak planks go crosswise, with space between so they dry fast after a rain.