homestead - Re: [Homestead] Got a plan?

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Got a plan?
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 12:29:42 -0400

I had plans drawn up before I ever moved here. I bought a property that
matched my plans. They weren't detailed plans, just sort of lifestyle...lots
of open space, lots of green, room for a big garden, pasture for animals,
distinct seasons without hot humid summers. I wanted Old MacDonald's farm,
with me as Old MacDonald. I was looking for an area of open rolling hills,
and I sure found it. What I want hasn't changed since I first drempt it 15
years ago. Reality intrudes occasionally...too much work, too little money,
dead animals, cars and/or tractors stuck in the mud (or ice), but the dream
persists.

The details change from day to day. I've learned to be flexible; I know
what I want to do, but I'm getting better at finding the easiest (less work,
cheaper) way to do it. For just one example, my 'heated greenhouse' was more
work than it was worth, but left unheated, all the passive solar features I
put in raise the climate zone a couple numbers year round and gives me
another 2-3 months of growing season. It's like having a small patch of
Georgia (or at least the Carolinas) on my frozen northern farm. And figs
(one of the things I love that won't grow here) LOVE my greenhouse...I've
got a fig plantation growing along the north wall, right up to the ridge.
I'm now trying to simplify the way things work so I can keep going into my
old age (can't ever afford to retire). I think if I remember my vision, the
details work themselves out for the best.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA