homestead - Re: [Homestead] Got a plan?

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Got a plan?
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 13:06:43 -0500

I've heard of people using old box cars, etc for structure
as you suggest...my question is if I could locate such
steel how would I get it back there? How heavy would
something like this be and what kind of vehicle and tools
would be needed to get it into place? Crane? Bulldozer?
Vehicular mule? Logs and a winch?

Flat cars make good bridges. They are 50-60 feet long and are designed to be supported near the ends. They are brought in by a flat bed semi and lifted in place by a crane. Many years ago I did some preliminary site studies for a company that was delivering flat cars as bridges. If you can back a truck near and place a crane at one end, they can be set easily.

Don Bowen KI6DIU