homestead - Re: [Homestead] Black Walnuts again.

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Black Walnuts again.
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 20:39:21 -0500

On Jul 9, 2008, at 7:41 PM, Roy Morgan wrote:

On Jul 9, 2008, at 4:49 PM, Gene GeRue wrote:
... I must do something about
these very long black walnut roots that are killing my apple trees.

Are the roots very long? Or does the "poison" travel through the
dirt, and get carried by leaves and whatever a long distance? Both?

My knowledge thus far is that the juglone toxin does not travel very far from the roots, perhaps only an inch or two. Yes, the roots are very long. I have not measured with a tape, but I would say that I am losing trees that may be as much as 150 feet from the black walnut trunks. Mind you, these are mature walnuts. One of them shades half the house until afternoon.

I ask, because since the original thread on this, I've been counting
the very small and small volunteers here that I can dig up and
transplant to our new place. The new place has a pond in the middle
of the property sort of drainage ditches or low places in two
directions toward roadside drainage low spots. One of them goes in a
direction considerably away from the house/barns and garden area.
'Seems like a black walnut planted every 30-40 feet along that low
area would be good.

Consider your purpose carefully. If you will be happy with just nuts, then give them enough space for nutrients and water. Check the advice of an extension office in that area as they will know the soil and the rainfall. If you wish the girls to make walnut cradles for their grandchildren, then prune them carefully from about the fifth year on, taking all low side branches, to achieve the tallest possible straight log.