homestead - Re: [Homestead] Wall-E

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Wall-E
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 10:10:36 -0400

Gene; I saw Wall-E. It was entertaining. I didin't see much 'message', it
was a continuation of the direction people are taking, so it was too close
to reality to have a 'message' for me. Also Wall-E's antics didn't have much
to do with the 'message', and overshadowed it.

Warning...this might give away some of the plot if you haven't seen it. It's
about an Earth that people have junked up to the point where they couldn't
live on it, so they took to space, living in what amounted to a luxury
cruise liner. People have gotten so fat and lazy that they ride in
hover-chairs all day; if they fall out, they need robots to help them get
back in. They come back to earth and are all excited about the prospect of
farming and doing for themselves.

I would have liked to see what happened once they discover that "doing for
yourself" is hard work.. We all know people who launch themselves into
planting a garden, then abandon it when it becomes work...can you imagine
humans 'working' for subsistence after 700 years of being waited on? I'd
love to think people really have that 'go for it' spirit, but I've seen too
many who would sit and die rather than do for themselves.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga County, PA