homestead - Re: [Homestead] Wall-E

  • From: "Karen L. Black" <karen AT plamondon.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Wall-E
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 07:22:05 -0700

Gene asks:

> "Good" is good but non-descriptive. Good moviemaking skills evident,
and/or good plot, writing? Do you agree that it is a message movie?

It is definitely a message movie. All of Pixar's films are. The message I
got was "keep trying."

The four of us saw it last night at a non-matinee showing. (There were a
couple dozen people in the theater on a slow day at a very slow time, so I
would venture to say that it is a big hit.) The photography was stunning. I
read that the director worked with a live-action director on lighting, and
the research he did shows in the rendering of the film. The music works very
well, and you notice it a lot more.

There is very little dialog at first -- WALL-E is all by himself on the
Earth (as far as we can tell), after all. The sequence on Earth is very much
like a Jacque Tati or Buster Keaton film.

The scenes on the Axiom are more conventionally slapstick, but the growth of
EVE (and the Captain's renaissance) was nicely done. I enjoyed seeing the
picture of a "Captain O'Brian" on the bulkhead of the bridge.

The pictures during the end credits are well worth sitting through, not only
for the story they tell, but the differing art styles.

In some ways, it is an anti-"Silent Running."

My younger son won't sit through many movies, but this one had his full
attention.

Hope this review helps and is not too spoilerific.

Karen Black
Blodgett, OR