homestead - Re: [Homestead] Wall-E

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Wall-E
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 09:44:37 -0400

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 8:58 AM, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:

> On Jul 8, 2008, at 7:54 AM, Lisa K.V. Perry wrote:
>
> "Good" is good but non-descriptive. Good moviemaking skills evident,
> and/or good plot, writing? Do you agree that it is a message movie?

As soon as I replied I knew it was not "good" enough and didn't give the
answer you were looking for. ;) Sorry about that.

*A review of the movie WALL-E by Lisa Perry*

My family all enjoyed the pre-movie cartoon (the whole theatre laughed), and
the credits afterwards were simply breathtaking and should be watched until
the end. Most folks were still in their seats. I've seldom seen more
engaging and beautiful credits that held my attention.

The plot was engaging but probably not Academy Award winning. It is a
children's movie written so adults will also enjoy and get something out of
it. As for writing, there is not much dialogue. The main character, Wall-E,
is a robot and therefore does not speak much. He has expressive eyes
(reminiscent of E.T., but different), movements and noises he makes that
clearly convey his message and/or feelings.

I spoke to a couple people who did not care for the movie and when asked
why, it was because of the lack of dialogue. There is some, but again, not
much. If great writing in a movie is important to you, this movie may
disappoint.

The movie has two distinct positive messages prevalent throughout, but some
folks have viewed the movie and thought there was one. I'd rather not spoil
it, but will say they are positive messages. Since this movie is geared
towards children, I hope they will take it to heart or have food for
thought.

Hope that was better.

Lisa