homestead - Re: [Homestead] It's not just politics. It's people.

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] It's not just politics. It's people.
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 09:34:29 EDT

> >Then James, what *should* we do? Hunker down in our foxholes and wait
> for the nuclear winter to blow away?
>
> It's guns or it's politics, as far as I can see.

-----------------

Celia, one of the oldest ploys in the world to control pepole is to give them
a false choice. Very bad parents engage in this. The small child does not
want to go anywere so the parent with no parenting skills says, "It's time to
go, do you want to wear your red coat or your blue coat?" The idea being
that
as soon as the child is engaged in resloving the false choice, their
objection
to the underlying premise will be suspended for long enoug for them to be
manipulated.

The Nazis used this masterfully. There were only about 3,000 SS and other
personnel assigned to remove 450,000 jews from the ghetto, that is, the jews
could have refused to cooperate and there was nothing the Germans could have
done
about it. So they devised a series of exercises giving the jews completely
meaningless choices. They were issued ID cards of different colors and left
wonder what the different colors meant. Was it better to have a blue card
than a red one (much like the coat above)? They were allowed to freely sell
or
trade the cards and while they were mulling over that, tens of thousands were
deported and killed.

Then they marched large numbers of them down a road that forked. Both prongs
of the fork lead to death within a short time. The jews were not forced nor
even told which fork to take and were so engaged in determining and
speculating which road was the better, they resisted not a whit.

I am so much remined of that every time I hear that the people, especially
the young people, are so excited over the Obamessiah, and that, hey, after
all
if you look at it long and hard enough he can actually appear to have some
very
small token advantage over the other candidate.

AFTER ALL, IF YOU DON'T SUPPORT ONE OR THE OTHER, THAT MEANS YOU ARE DOING
NOTHING.

All caps to emphasize that this is the same sort of mental mechanism that I
described in my old student Thartha who was found in the glow of the open
refrigerator unable to go on because once the obvious and conditioned choices
were
removed, in her mind there was nothing left.

Advocating support for one candidate who is microscopically better, and
falsely microscopically better at that, than the other candidate is choosing
the
red card over the blue card rather than joining the ghetto uprising.

And it's not guns or the ballot box. It's the lifestlye.

After the first oil shocks of the 70's, we had a choice to turn our society
from oil based to something else based. And I don't mean falling for the
Thartha syndrome yet again and going whizzing about in electric cars instead
of gas
cars. I mean an actual righ angle turn in which society isn't based on
bigger cars and bigger houses and ski-dos and ATVs and RVs, but rather based
on
something else.

Having made such a turn in the very late 70's, Reagan played Isidlur and
stood holding the oil culture over Mount Doom and refused to cast it in. As
Elrond said, "It should have ended there." Instead he chose to rescue the
near
defunct dollar by inceasing its peg to Saudi oil and persuading the Saudis
with
promisses of military support for their rule to flood the world with cheap
oil
in order to bankrupt the Soviet Union who were depending on rising oil prices
to fund their build-up.

It worked, after a fashion.

Had we not taken that turn back in '80, there would have been no Iraq war.
Had the American people collectively weaned away from oil, there would have
been no 9-11, no Afghanastan, no Iraq. It was far flung exburbs, 70 mile
commutes, 4000 sq ft McMansions, 5 ltr engines, all financed by an "economy"
that
did less and less, produced less and less, and depended on the profits of
trading Oil baseball cards to finance it all.

So choose the red card and continue your march to Baba Yar and pretend as if
that is 'doing something'. I choose to join the resistance. That means by
any method or opportunity possible, I will not participate in the
oil/credit/consumerist culture that is the root cause of our problems.

I'm not hunkered down in a foxhole waiting for anything. I'm living life now
and frantically pointing out that way to as many as I can distract from
mulling over the color of their ID cards. As you can see from this
discussion, I
am not very successful. </HTML>