homestead - [Homestead] Storing & Saving seed

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Storing & Saving seed
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 10:38:43 -0400

What is your method? I hope to better my 'system' (a term used loosely). I
keep seeds in their original envelope inside a Rubbermaid-type container in
the basement (cooler than upstairs). Must I give up fridge space?

This question was prompted by a recent planting of '05 bean seed that
germinated 20% at best. I soaked the seed overnight but it was dry the next
two weeks which might have been the problem. I didn't water often therefore
it may be my fault and not old bean seed--or a fatal combination of the two.

How old is too old and for what seed? In the past I've saved seed from
tomatoes and various curcubits. I could get this from a book, but I want to
hear what you have to say.

[Hope you don't mind the briefest detour from politics. There, I said the
word. ;) I'll admit that it has been interesting reading.]

lkvp