homestead - Re: [Homestead] Floods

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Floods
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 17:00:16 -0700

Heard news report today about flooding at Quincy Ill.
I believe Quincy is on a bluff so flooding must be on
Mo side.
Quincy is on the bluff on the east side of the river. There is a limestone cliff to the south but it is flat land to the north. The Missouri side is flat land and is called West Quincy. There is little there except a couple of restaurants and gas stations. Missouri gasoline is cheaper than Illinois and over the years they trade back and forth on liquor laws. Quincy has the first bridge south of Keokuk, Ia and the next one south is Hannibal. There is a small ferry at Canton.

I know the area well, I used to go to Keokuk for the drive-in and to Quincy because I knew a couple of places I could by beer.

Don Bowen KI6DIU