homestead - [Homestead] Floods

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Floods
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 10:26:59 -0700

I just received information that my cousin's farm is going under water. He
is busily pulling the Diesel pump engines out of Gregory water district and I
hope pulling his machinery out of the way. His farm is located about half
way between Canton, Mo and the junction of the Des Moines and Mississippi
rivers. I tried reaching his mother but no luck. The farm buildings are up
on the bluff so they are not in danger. Most of his 1400 acres of crop land
is between the bluff and the river just west of Gregory Landing. As near as
I can understand he will not have a corn or soybean crop this year.

Corn is up over $7.75, Wheat is back over $9, soybeans are over $15. I
suspect many of us will have to make some significant changes in our eating
and driving this year. Meanwhile the politicians are avoiding discussing
real problems and just throwing out platitudes. The media is spinning around
talking about flag pins and birth certificates rather than looking for real
answers and providing real information.

Don Bowen KI6DIU