homestead - Re: [Homestead] Floods

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Floods
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 14:37:01 -0500

On Jun 16, 2008, at 12:26 PM, Don Bowen wrote:

I just received information that my cousin's farm is going under water. He is busily pulling the Diesel pump engines out of Gregory water district and I hope pulling his machinery out of the way. His farm is located about half way between Canton, Mo and the junction of the Des Moines and Mississippi rivers. I tried reaching his mother but no luck. The farm buildings are up on the bluff so they are not in danger. Most of his 1400 acres of crop land is between the bluff and the river just west of Gregory Landing. As near as I can understand he will not have a corn or soybean crop this year.

Corn is up over $7.75, Wheat is back over $9, soybeans are over $15. I suspect many of us will have to make some significant changes in our eating and driving this year. Meanwhile the politicians are avoiding discussing real problems and just throwing out platitudes. The media is spinning around talking about flag pins and birth certificates rather than looking for real answers and providing real information.

I say go for it full out. Socialize everything. Subsidize everybody. Run up the balance of trade deficit as much as possible, borrow everything we can get from China and the rest of the world's bankers and then declare national bankruptcy. Then start over. Yeah. It's the American way.

Now what can we do about that pesky Constitution?