homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homeschooling and unschooling

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homeschooling and unschooling
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 10:23:52 -0500

On Jun 16, 2008, at 9:26 AM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

So I'd have to say, Gene, my experience with the literate leads me to a
different conclusion. </HTML>

Well, I accept your direct experience as being more reliable than my casual observations. I may be giving credit for a veneer of sophistication and computer smarts more weight than deserved.

I would have taken your offer to pass the class and take the rest of the semester off. I remember starting new high school classes, reading the assigned books in a few days and then being bored silly for many weeks thereafter. Acted up, make smart-alecky comments, was basically a "bad" student for the rest of the term.

Of course being allowed to stay home from school would have meant mostly doing more farm work for my father or hiring out to neighbors. So high school was a social lark, more fun, less work than not being there.

And I did enjoy P.E. classes, organized sports, men's choir and acting in school plays.