homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homeschooling and unschooling

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homeschooling and unschooling
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 10:10:32 EDT

> > I don't have to break into youngest's
> time. t

This is an important point. Here there are regular things that need doing
and everyone knows it. Other things that come up are discussed for the day
or
the week and everyone agrees on how it is to be done. That's it. I don't
recall having to remind any of the children to do their tasks. In fact when
one
child or adult is away, the others fill in the missing tasks without being
told or reminded. So there is not breaking into their time or interrupting
their
attention. They plan that for themselves.

People have no idea how deep the roots of the conditioning go, nor the
capacity to accept it if they did. Under the personal and group management
paradigm
Lynda and I have outlined the individual develops a very keen sense of
'enough'. It's lacking in the general population.

I've always suggested this proposition to dedicated schoolers. You say that
a student on X grade level should be able to spell a certain body of words,
for an example, or do math on a certain level. Offer the student this
option:
If you can demonstrate during the first week of school that you possess all
those skills, you can pass all those tasks, you can take the rest of the year
off.

No, it wouldn't work to say you go on to the next grade. The motivation has
to be more stark and real. If you show you can do all the academic skills
and
have the knowledge we (supposedly) have you in the fifth grade for, you can
take the rest of the year off, sleep late, read what you want, do wii games,
take walks, whatever.

I can tell you what the result would be, some classrooms would be mighty
sparce!

But the way schooling conditions the psyche is that you are going to be there
in class for most of your childhood, might as well get used to it and make
the best of it. Nothing you do will allow you to escape the sentence.
Nothing.

13 years of this and everyone is perfectly willing, in fact determined on a
gut level, that the norm is to work 40 hours or more a week for as much money
as you can get. Nothing you can do about it, ordained by God no doubt. And
since you are stuck there until you retire, why not make the best of it and
spend the money on the things we say you ought to have.

It is such a different life to say, "I've worked 18 hours this week and I
have all the money I need so I that's all I'm doing."
</HTML>