homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homeschooling and unschooling

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homeschooling and unschooling
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 20:56:39 -0800

English teachers. A joy, one and all!

Miss, and yes, Miss, not Ms. unless you wanted to end up at the Dean's office (go ahead and ask how I know this <g>), Peabody. 9th grade English teacher. Looked exactly! how you would expect someone named Miss Peabody to look. Age? Somewhere around 100 <g>

There I sat, bored to tears, drawing little critters out of alphabet letters ("s" makes a great swan and capital "P" makes a great puppy) when Miss Peabody, in the voice that fit her so well, I might add, says "Lynda, where is Timbuckto?" Startled, my reply, "I don't know, I thought this was English not geography."

I'll leave my grade to your imagination <g>

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com>

I was bored to pathological proportions all though school. I failed
freshman English (and never did anything but low C's at any time) and was the
consternation of teachers and parents when they discovered I was using my class time
to learn Greek and for no particular reason except for an opiate to the
boredom. I bade fair to fail senior English as well because of a heated argument
with the teacher when I held that English was not based on Latin. Fortuenately
it was the late 60's and I discovered the transcendentalism and meditation
that was all the rage (and kept me [mostly] off drugs) so I'd just go into a
trance during classes, that added the ire of the Church in addition to parental
and teacher ire.

As I was writing this, the mailman (a neat fellow who plays Celtic flute)
drove the winding obstacle course up to the house to deliver some packages,
including some of those neat molecular model kits where you build all and sundry
molecules from atom centers and spaced bonds. I found I could no longer answer
some of the children's questions (11 and 12 year olds) without some visual
aids. And so it will go: "It is called atom because in Greek it means 'cannot
be cut', and the most important thing for you to understand is that they don't
exist, they are just ideas...ah, but what ideas!" This all came from a
question, one that most thinkers have come up with independently though human
history, that one of the girls proposed to the rest some time back .... if you cut
this copper penny (which is actually bronze rather than copper) into smaller
and smaller pieces, would you just keep cutting it forever? Now we are going to
demonstrate that, no, you can't. At some point it becomes a-tome, not able
to be divided and still be copper. You see, copper does't really 'exist', it's
only an illusion brough on by its atomic number.

Ripping stuff, this! </HTML>