homestead - Re: [Homestead] Pasture question

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Pasture question
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 11:11:39 EDT

> >Now to get that tractor ready. I should have got a scythe!

This morning at dawn, like the last several mornings, I have repaired to the
hay fields and mowed grass. About an hour or hour and half is all one can
endure even if one is in pretty good shape. But it's enough. The biggest
hayfield is located way in the front by the paved county road. Just across
the
road is the long finger of property (about 60' wide) that is the outer
extreme of
a neighbor's property. He, said neighbor, has no use for the hay so another
neighbor mows it with a tractor and bales it. He is not skillful and the
terrain is not even with the reslult that when he hauls away his round bales,
there is a quarter of the mown grass left. I take my two wheeled cart and
rake
and fork and glean it. If I can get to it before it spoils, it's looking
like
a ton of hay within easy reach.

This morning I mowed a triangle left from where the road begins to rise from
the front flats toward the sort of plateau or shoulder where the gardens are
located. It is 180' long and tapers to 30' wide. The grass there is just
exactly ripe but the grass above it (between garden plots) and below it (on
the
flats) is not prime. So I mowed the prime. It took about 40 minutes and by
the
time I finished the sun was well cleared of the tree tops and it began to get
hot.

Then the mowing machine had to be refuled so I made my way back up the
hillside to the corn tortillas, eggs scrambled in butter, and cheese - all
100% from
the place and scarcely think I put back all the calories expended in the
mowing. I feel pretty good right now and I will retreat into my subterranean
shop
for most of the day, until it gets cool in the evening.

Yes, Rob, you shoulda got a scythe. </HTML>