homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tractor repair question

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tractor repair question
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 17:54:30 -0700

The transmission/hydraulic fluid is not low, but I'm thinking that
there must be a filter and it would probably be good to change it.
I've not changed it in the 3 years I've had it and have no idea if it
has ever been done. I'm thinking that the fluid is overheating? I'd
sure appreciate it if anyone that is good with tractors would give me
their opinion on troubleshooting this.

My first guess is that the fuel filter is getting plugged. Losing power is usually fuel related. If it is a case of not going, if you have a torque converter, it could be oil level.

Second, change all filters every year or so, fuel, oil, and fuel when you change the oil. Even if it is a low hours tractor, oil needs to be warm for a while to evaporate the water vapors that can form acids and sludge.

Don Bowen KI6DIU