homestead - Re: [Homestead] Views on government

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Views on government
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 12:31:05 -0800

Using polls to dictate decisions is one of the problems. Polls say precisesly what the pollsters want them to say. There is no such thing as a random poll. There are supposed to be but there aren't. That is one of thos myths that people use to keep themselves from actually looking at what is happening in this world.

The polling folks choose the demographics and then they carefully word the questions.

Before NYT or the Washington Post or CNN or MSNBC or Fox ever run a poll, they have a program or column all planned around the results of their poll.

And "compassionate conservatism" didn't get him elected the second time. Dirty politics, questionable votes AND fearmongering got him re-elected! And, fearmongering was high on the list. The good ol' "can't change horses in the middle of the stream" logic worked real well on the sheople.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene GeRue" <genegerue AT ruralize.com>

Observation teaches that regardless of political party or supposed
platform, each elected president, senator, congressperson, et al,
reacts to pressures internal and external, including now ubiquitous
polls of the people. Polls dictate campaign strategies. Polls
encourage or discourage programs that lead to reelection percentages.

First, get elected. "Compassionate conservatism" was one of the best
campaign slogans yet. Who could argue? Enough fell for it to get GWB
elected not once but twice.

After election came--and will come--the programs, early on as payback
for supporters, later as a response to personal ambition, yet later
heavily balanced by polls of the people.

For an incompetent president, compassionate conservatism led to the
biggest government in our history.

I see no small government in sight.

There will always be government programs.

Government programs spend my money.

I want my money spent as effectively as possible.

Therefore, I want competent program administrators, whether the
program under administration is the Pentagon, Social Security,
Medicare, foreign aid, FEMA, or school lunches.

I want as much accomplishment as possible for each new dollar of debt
that my grandchildren will pay.

I therefore want a president who makes very good appointments.