homestead - Re: [Homestead] Observations from my State Convention

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Observations from my State Convention
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 14:59:43 -0800

I find the Talking Heads and all the hype about it being Hillary's responsibility to go out and campaign for Teflon to be rather interesting. Perhaps her followers are as mystified and, perhaps they are also bent out of shape, over all this insistance that it is her responsibility to unit the party.

Now, I've watched and participated in a whole bunch of elections over the last 40 some years and this is a first.

You never saw the Talking Heads or heard the radio newscasters or the newspapers demanding or casting aspersions on folks such as McNasty being told he had to get out there and get Bush elected, Brown told to get out there and get Clinton elected, Dean told to get out there and get Kerry elected, Humphrey to to get out there and get Johnson elected, Reagan told to get out there and get Nixon elected and so forth and so on.

So, what's up this year?

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <eureka AT hctc.net>

Just got back from the Texas State Democratic Convention
were I served (first venture into politics) in my county's
delegation. [This means I was elected by all 19 democrats
here. Ha ha.] Anyway, it was an interesting experience.
Mostly, I enjoyed attending the meeting on energy, where
peak oil was discussed and the need to quickly develop
wind and solar alternatives. Although I see the large
arrays of wind generators every time I cross west Texas, I
did not realize if Texas was a country [as it is in many
Texans' minds] it would rank 7th in wind generation.
Unfortunately because of the oil and gas industry and all
the driving we do we also rank high in the amount of CO2
we are delivering to the atmosphere. They had maps showing
the potential for both wind and solar throughout the U.S.
The need for local food production was also brought up.

As for the actual caucus, those of us for Obama (who had
BTW already won the nomination) wore whatever we happened
to put on that day, and those in the Hillary camp had
matching bright yellow tees and caps and sat to
themselves, which seemed like an act of devisiveness. It
was kind of like walking into a wedding where you had to
choose between the bride and groom sides. It was my
observation that Obama delegates were diverse--every race,
age, sex and economic background, but the Clinton
delegates where largely comprised of older vociferous
white women. Then the staff decided to integrate us to sit
alphabetical by county, and that was chaos. Chelsea showed
up and spoke for less time than it took to introduce her.
I wondered what the purpose of the visit could be?