homestead - Re: [Homestead] stung by a japanese hornet

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] stung by a japanese hornet
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 23:42:29 -0800

Vitamin C has naturally occuring antihistimines. Plus, "natural antihistamines such as quercitin can be found in apples, grapefruit and some other citrus fruits, cherries, raspberries, red grapes, yellow and red onions, leafy vegetables, red wine, green tea, black tea, evening primrose, squash, shallots, courgettes and broccoli, blue-green algae, and capsium or "chili peppers".

If I remember correctly, hot chili peppers are your best bet but I'd call the local poison hot line and check. Plus, they might have some other ideas.

I'd say stay awake until you see if the swelling is going to progress. If you feel the least little bit of progression into the throat, don't fool around and head for the nearest ER!

Oh, just thinking about it, perhaps drinking some strong black tea since it is black tea that works on the outside to decrease the effects of the histmines in the hives.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "WF Smith" <mogrits AT gmail.com>

I got stung 30 minutes ago on the pad of my thumb by a japanese hornet. I've
been stung in the past by everything under the sun with no more than local
effect but I now have huge hives all over my body. I do not have any
antihistamine tablets here at the house and it is so late I couldnt purchase
any if I wanted. My mouth and nose and ears are swelling up.

My breathing is fine so my question is this, should anyone still be awake-
will the hives pass and should I be concerned about going to sleep?