homestead - Re: [Homestead] Chickens

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Chickens
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 07:12:53 -0400

> Before you boys hurt yourselves with engineering a coon-proof door
> (don't make me laugh), just get a dog. Any dog will do if it's well
> trained. Dogs discourage coons, foxes, wolverines, even rats. This is
> what people had before technology. It worked as witnessed by our
> presence on the only Earth we have.

Good advice Marie. I think that they are having a lot of fun with the
door tech, though!

My Great Pyrenees that came with the goats, trained to chickens and
guineas real fast. Price was a few dead guineas, not too bad. I was
loosing birds in the day and at night. Guineas roost in the trees year
round and the owl was eating good. I hear owls all the time, but don't
loose guineas, in fact I'm over populated.

Foxes got chickens and guineas in the daytime; not any more. I may
have lost a few chickens this year, but they are the ones that wander
far in the woods and the dog is fenced out of there.

Rob - Va