homestead - Re: [Homestead] Raccoon Tales... how smart was yours?

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Raccoon Tales... how smart was yours?
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 14:21:34 -0500

On May 21, 2008, at 2:06 PM, paxamicus AT earthlink.net wrote:

Mine was so smart he didn't stop coming until we hung the hung the
feed bins from tack hooks in the ceilings.

This is a story about coon strength. I once built an impregnable pen for broody hens against the side of the root cellar building. Old metal roofing around the bottom nailed well to split post oak posts, brand new one-inch poultry mesh enclosing the top. I fixed the door with a double latch that required the opener to do two things simultaneously. He couldn't figure out how to work that so he simply got on top and ripped a hole through that spanking new poultry mesh, killed the hen and killed all the chicks that were hatching and no doubt whose peeps had drawn him in. I found three cold chicks in the morning that had apparently hatched after he left. I say he because the traps I set, knowing he would be back for the rest of the hen, caught him by those parts of a male which positively define the sex. I put him out of his considerable misery with the forty-five.

That tragedy is one of the reasons why I no longer use poultry mesh in a security condition. Use dog pen wire. It's strong and it lasts.