homestead - Re: [Homestead] Chickens

  • From: Roy Morgan <k1lky AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Chickens
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 09:40:27 -0400

On May 21, 2008, at 6:04 AM, Gene GeRue wrote:

I forgot to say that I built the Taj Mahen chicken door so it could be
automated with a photo cell actuating a small motor. The door is small
and slides up and down in the wall. Faced on the outside with metal.
Need Don or Roy to rig up a motor.

Rex Roberts, author of aforementioned book "Your Engineered House" had dog doors for his Saint Bernards. Two doors on hinges with weighted ropes and pulleys to close them opened in and out. Dog or cat could just push and go either way. I wonder if chickens could do that with small sets of doors.

A motor operated door could be rigged up. If it was counter weighted, it would take a smaller motor, even be operated by a solar charged battery as found in the small electric fence chargers.

Roy

Roy Morgan
k1lky AT earthlink.net
Lovettsville, VA 20180