homestead - Re: [Homestead] Chickens

  • From: Roy Morgan <k1lky AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Chickens
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 10:17:03 -0400

On May 21, 2008, at 9:59 AM, Gene GeRue wrote:
Roy, the issue is safety from predators. The door needs to be coon-
proof.

Ah yes, that makes sense.

...pullets, will sometimes sit on the threshold as it is
getting dark.

We do that: sit on the porch.. hehehe

I... I guess there needs to be a sweep that first swats her behind before the door comes down.

The door could be counter weighted to do the hen no harm, even if resting full on her neck. 'Might need a latch to keep the coon, et al from opening it to get in.

I wonder how much time and money one could invest in perfecting such a
system.

When my Shoppe and Laboratory is set up at the new place, it might well be a fine project!

Of course the world would then beat a path to our door holding
out wads of money. Right?

Right - earlier I thought it might make a fine cottage "industry" but did not mention it. Of course, as volume rose to be unmanageable at home we'd contract manufacture overseas, get a custom VLSI computer chip made to manage the growing list of "features" and safety functions brought on by law suits, and then have them drop shipped from the Pacific Rim.. uh oh!

Roy

Roy Morgan
k1lky AT earthlink.net
Lovettsville, VA 20180