homestead - Re: [Homestead] Chickens

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Chickens
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 04:56:08 -0500

On May 20, 2008, at 9:33 PM, Marie McHarry wrote:

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 5:24 AM, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:

I am currently experimenting. Now withholding
grain and trying to train them to come into the Taj Mahen at night
when I call and rattle a small container with egg pellets in it...

A hundred percent fool-proof way to get hens to come in at night is to
have a light that comes on at dusk and goes off at full dark.

Sounds good. Oughta be cheap timers that would turn it on and off. Let their days always be the same length? Sounds like the title of a book.

Guineas do tend to have a high attrition rate, alas, but you might do
so good if your brain was the size of a pea.

I can think like that before coffee.

Your experience agrees with what I have read: hatch the guinea eggs under a setting hen, the keets bond to her and do as she does, including going in at night.