homestead - Re: [Homestead] Chickens

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Chickens
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 20:24:31 -0500

On May 20, 2008, at 3:11 PM, <eureka AT hctc.net> <eureka AT hctc.net> wrote:

Gene,

I can't say enough good things about the Brahmas. The Dark
Brahmas are prolific large brown egg layers (some of our
largest eggs). Their faces look a little menacing, but
personality-wise they are teddy bears and are easy to
handle--very easy going chickens. I recently read they are
the genetic foundation of many other breeds. Our Brahma
rooster is almost as large as a turkey, but just as gentle
to us and the girls. Of our mix, there's a couple of
Brahma hens that go broody regularly, so if you want to
increase your flock this would be a good trait. Even so,
they don't seem to mind us searching for eggs beneath
them.

Sounds like one to put on my list. I like to produce replacements with setting hens, the chicks are healthier and learn the program. The only negative might be they eat more to keep all that extra weight warm in the winter.

The Fayoumis are the only breed that have not let us
handle them, and frequently peck us. They are constantly
getting into trouble...you know the type, insolent
backtalk, flirting with the boys, smoking behind the hen
house, etc.

Some modern girls are like that. You really have to keep your eye on them. I swear, sometimes I think the country is going to hell in a hand basket.