homestead - Re: [Homestead] Chickens

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Chickens
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 10:04:44 -0500

On May 20, 2008, at 7:41 AM, paxamicus AT earthlink.net wrote:

I guess since
I've always had large animals, I LIKE fences. I want the perimeter to
be fenced like Fort Knox, but I haven't found a 6' barbed,
electrifiable razor wire yet. ; p I think I really need to work on
my hermit issue.

Some of the people I regard most highly are or have been seriously reclusive, including the Unabomber look-alike I saw in the mirror this morning.

As for perimeter fence, I have friends who went to a lot of work and expense fencing their "clearing," about three acres of house, garden, chicken moat, flower beds, lawn, etc. Six foot good, solid fence. Still, the deer hop over it and the coons and possums climb over in a blink (metal posts would have been better) and even the despised armadillos tunnel under. Their good Border Collie used to keep critters out but she died. Then they got Benny's Aussie sister and she was almost as good. Now she has died and they say they won't have more dogs. I can't imagine living without them.